An “African” key player in the renewable energy sector
The transition to renewable energy in Africa is crucial to meeting the continent’s growing energy needs.
At Kadéï, we assist our Clients with large scale renewable energy projects in French-speaking sub-Saharan Africa.Projects
Our lawyers assist public and private actors with energy project developments as they optimise the continent’s abundant resources and provide clean energy to the population at affordable rates.
To build a different energy path, we bring to the table our solid experience in hydroelectric and solar projects in Africa.
These are fundamental as they respond to a growing demand for “green” energy – A transformation due to population and urbanisation increase, industrialisation, trade and climate change.
The International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA) states that with the right policies, regulation and governance, renewable energy could account for up to 67% of electricity generation in sub-Saharan Africa by 2030. However, the institution also bases its forecast on access to financial markets.
In this context, our firm has structured its core practice around the two complementary phases of project development – from launch to full investment maturity – and project finance.Financing
An indigenous, clean, and renewable energies could meet almost a quarter of Africa’s energy needs by 2030. A decarbonised solution, renewables are expected to grow strongly to nearly account for half of the electricity production in the sub-Saharan region of the continent by 2040.
By investing in the long-term energy solutions offered by alternative energy sources, most African countries will escape the harmful problems caused by fossil fuels.
Moreover, renewable energy is economically viable. With its solar and hydroelectric potential, complemented by bioenergy, wind, geothermal and marine resources in some regions, Africa can consider modern renewable energy sources the best solution for off-grid or mini-grid electrification of isolated areas and the extension of power grids.
- Our fields of intervention:
- All projects in the energy sector, including hydroelectric, solar, and geothermal projects
- Advising a sponsor with regards to a 1080 MW hydroelectric project in Cameroun.
(Value: about USD 3 billion)
- Advising public parties with regards to a 147 MW hydropower project in three African states.
(Estimated investment value: USD 650-700 million)
- Advising a DFI with regards to a 50 MW geothermal project in Ethiopia.
(Value: approx. USD 271 million)
- Advising a DFI with regards to a road sector project in Kenya.
(Value: approx. USD 1.7 billion)
- Advising a DFI in monitoring a 459 MW gas-to-power project in Nigeria.
- – Advising the government and SONATREL with regards to the 420 MW Nachtigal hydropower project in Cameroun.
(Value: approx. EUR 1.2 billion)
- Advising a state state in the review of its contractual documentation for a powership project.